We are all aware of the fact that countertops are one of the most important elements in the kitchen. However, finding the best finish for your wood countertop is not an easy task. There are a lot of materials available in the market, each of which has its own pros and cons. Some wood countertops require a water-based finish, while others need a more intensive oil finish. Here’s our guide on how to choose the best finish for your wood countertop.
Top 6 Best Finish For Wood Countertop Reviews 2022
1. Watco Oil and Finish for wood countertop
- A wood oil and finish that can be applied to interior wood surfaces, such as walls and countertop, floors, within 50 sft.
- Protects the rich look of wood against dirt and stains without the use of harsh chemicals or sanding required by other products.
- It dries within 2 hours and is effective.
- Leaves a natural finish for easy cleaning with no brush marks left behind from traditional sanding methods used by other brands.
The popular and top selling Watco wood oil & finish has quickly become the favorite of woodwork enthusiasts and homeowners alike due to its proven performance and outstanding results. For commercial and residential applications, it is a must-have finish for wood countertop. Whether you’re coating a kitchen or an entire home, Watco products can easily achieve the best results in any type of hardwood or finished application.
However, this non-toxic wood finish preserves wood countertop and enhances wood rich surfaces, with an easy wipe-on application.
2. CLARK’S – Cutting Board Finish Wax for wood countertop
- Specially formulated to provide a barrier against the effects of hard water, making it easier for you to clean your countertops and surfaces.
- The natural ingredients in this product have been proven effective on cutting boards and other products.
- It is easy to apply on the countertop, so you can do it yourself without any help.
- This is the best finish to protect your countertop from scratches and stains.
- It is an interesting way to finish off with a new look for your kitchen or bathroom!
This is the perfect finishing touch for your kitchen countertop! The true secret to this finish is ingredients and technology. All natural and organic ingredients and technology work together to deliver the perfect finish for your countertops. Guaranteed! It’s all natural and organic, so there are no harsh chemicals or harmful additives.
However, It provides a protective barrier against all mess.
3. Wood Welded – wood countertop finish
- Fast drying: After apply within a few minutes it dries completely, and can be used immediately after application.
- No brushing required: no need for messy brushes or sandpaper.
- Safe for food contact: Food grade, will not cause any damage to the surface of your countertop.
Wood Welded is a high quality urethane finish made from a special blend of urethane resin and water-based polyurethane. It’s safe for food contact, fast drying, no-brushing, water and alcohol resistant finish for raw or unfinished wood surfaces. It provides a finished look with a rich aged finish that you will love!
4. Varathane Ultimate Polyurethane Satin Finish for wood countertop
- Safe for use on all wood surfaces.
- Easy to apply, wipe on and clean up with soap and water.
- One step application – no sanding required.
- Non-toxic formula is safe for kids & pets, also great as a sealer under the paint.
- Fast drying: dries in minutes, no waiting for hours or days to see if it will dry.
- Clear formula: This allows you to apply the finish and then quickly wipe off any excess with a damp cloth, leaving behind a clean surface that is ready for your next coat of Varathane clear topcoat stain or sealer.
- Protects indoor wood surfaces such as furniture, windows, cabinets, etc., from scratches and stains caused by everyday use.
When it comes to protection and maintenance, Varathane provides an unbeatable barrier that is clear and protective. Any surface that is subjected to the elements will last longer and look original with Varathane, as it protects against stains and scratches. The formula is also easier to apply than most other protective finishes as it dries as soon as water runs through it, so you can apply as many coats as possible without having them smudge or move during application.
5. General Finishes Wood Bowl Finish
- Works on any wood surface that comes into contact with food, including wooden bowls, cups, spoons, and decorative wood countertops.
- Safe for use on most porous surfaces.
- The fast-drying formula is designed to be safe for the environment; no harmful VOCs are released during application.
- Made with the highest quality ingredients to provide a long-lasting, durable finish that resists staining and scratches.
- The unique blend of waterborne polymers for an ultra-smooth, low sheen finish that is safe on wood surfaces.
Make sure you’re properly protecting those wooden bowls, cups, spoons, decorative wood countertops with this safe topcoat. It is made from a natural mineral. It helps you to achieve the best result by letting you apply your personal style to your wood projects.
6. EcoProCote – Polyurethane Countertop Sealer for wood
- Protects against wood degradation and water damage.
- Creates a durable, non-porous surface finish that resists stains and cleans easily.
- Helps protect against splinters, staining from soap residue, cracking from moisture expansion or contraction of the substrate due to temperature changes in your home,
- Is 100% water based – no harmful VOC’s or volatile organic compounds (VOC) are used during production,
- Non-toxic & environmentally friendly.
- Ideal for a wide range of applications: Exterior wood surfaces, kitchen countertops, tile backsplashes, and more.
- Provides a beautiful finish that is easy to maintain with regular cleaning.
- Compatible with all types of natural stone including granite, marble, and limestone as well as artificial stone.
All you have to do is get back to nature, apply this unique formulation onto the surface you are working on, stir the product into the existing layers, then wait for the desired result. You can create a durable polyurethane seal that will provide resistance to anything. And it has no harmful long-term effects on your health.
Frequently Asked Questions
The best finish for wood countertops is a coat of wax. It will bring out the grain in the wood and keep it shiny. There are other finishes that can be applied to these surfaces, but they tend to be more difficult for DIYers. You can buy the best countertop finish, or you can make your own. Wood Countertops are one of the easiest surfaces to cover with paint. It is not necessary to use an expensive high gloss lacquer for wood countertops because they are already smooth and shiny on their own. You just need to make sure that the wood is sealed with a good finish. Wood countertops are also one of the easiest surfaces to stain, but this can be time consuming and difficult if you do not have a lot of experience in this area.
A water-based finish is a type of finishing that uses a mixture of water and solvents to clean, soften, and smooth the surface of the wood. A water-based finish will not damage your countertops, but it does have some benefits. A water-based finish will be easier to apply than lacquer or oil based finish. You can apply it with a sponge, roller, or sprayer. The surface of the wood is less likely to absorb paint if you use a water-based finish. It also helps protect your countertops from scratches and other damage. You can easily remove the finish if you decide to refinish your countertops in the future. A water-based finish is also environmentally friendly because it does not contain any solvents or chemicals that could be harmful to people or animals.
Depending on the type of finish used, there may be a color variance from one side of the countertop to another. The finish may also change over time as the wood absorbs more and more paint. The surface of the countertop will also be a little bit shinier than if you used an oil-based or lacquer based finish.
There are so many finishes to choose from, it can be difficult to know which one is best for your countertop. It’s important to keep in mind that different finishes have different strengths and weaknesses. This means that you need to look at the finish in conjunction with the type of countertop material you’re using. To help you out, above we’ve put together a table outlining some of the most popular Best Finish For Wood Countertop available on the market today. Check them out and buying according to your preference!