A miter saw is an essential woodworking tool that you need in your workshop, whether you are a hobbyist or a professional. There are different types of miter saws from various brands, so it is great to ensure that you pick the right one. The most important thing when buying a miter saw is determining the type of blade you need.
When buying a miter saw, you will realize they come in different sizes of blades. You can get miter saws with small blades as 71/2 inches up to 20 inches. The most commonly used bladed sizes in miter saws are 10-inch and 12-inch. Both blades work well in your woodworking projects, but they are suitable for various applications.
“The key difference between the 10 vs 12 miter saw is Their Blade size.”
So, should you buy a 10-inch miter saw or a 12-inch miter saw? While the only difference between the two blades is the size, there are a lot more than you need to know before you make your final decision. We will give you a quick comparison guide on the two miters saw blades so that you can understand their pros as well as their cons. Let’s get into it.
Differences Between a 10 vs 12 inch miter saw
Several things differentiate a 10-inch, and a 12-inch miter saw. Understanding their differences is better to help you buy the right one. Some of the common differences include:
- 10-inch miter saw features a 13-amp motor, and it doesn’t consume much electricity. A 12-inch miter saw has a 15-amp motor, and it consumes more electricity.
- The 10-inch miter blade saw spins faster compared to the 12-inch miter saw that spins slower because the blade is heavy.
- A 10-inch miter saw provides clean cuts, and it is cheaper, and a 12-inch miter saw comes at a higher price.
Brief Summary of 10 inch miter saw reviews
A 10-inch miter saw features a smaller radius than the 12-inch miter saw. As a result, the blade spins faster than the 12-inch counterparts. If you get a high-quality 10-inch miter saw, it can spin to about 5000 rpm, while most 12-inch models spin at 4000 rpm. The quick blade rotation contributes to clean and smoother cuts.
Additionally, a 10-inch miter saw produces precise cuts because of the small blade size. Larger blades can result in deflection, and they also tend to wobble more. Therefore, if you consider making interior trim with accuracy, a 10-inch miter saw will be a better option. It also works well when you are dealing with plywood and other materials.
A 10-inch miter saw also works perfectly with softwood and hardwood, and it is more powerful. You can easily cut 4×4 with a 10-inch miter saw. However, you might require to flip your material to finish the job.Also, a 10-inch miter saw comes at a lower price than the 12-inch model. The tool is small and lighter, so it will fit conveniently in small spaces. Finding 10-inch miter saws is also easy because they are popular.
Benefits of a 10 Inch Miter Saw
There are many benefits you will get when working with a 10-inch miter saw. They include:
- 10-inch miter saws exert more pressure when cutting wood because they have a smaller blade.
- The smaller blade spins faster, and this results in easy cutting on different materials.
- You will get other incredible features like having a dual bevel sliding performance.
- The smaller blade size makes the tool easy to store and transport.
- The tools are versatile and last longer.
- They are widely available and come at affordable prices.
- 10-inch miter saws work well with hardwood and softwood.
- They make smooth cuts and save energy when handling smaller projects.
Best 10 Inch Miter Saw Reviews
Any DIY lover or professional requires a good quality miter saw. These tools are dependable and versatile to help you handle a wide range of projects. If your projects call for a 10-inch miter saw, you will find plenty of options on the market. It can be tough to figure out which 10-inch miter saw you would buy, especially if you are just getting started.
Luckily, we have a professional team who research extensively on your behalf to help you decide which tools are right for you. We have selected the top 3 quality and reliable 10-inch miter saws that will be a great addition to your workshop. Let’s check their full reviews below.
1. Hitachi C10FCG – best 10 inch sliding compound miter saw
Hitachi C10FCG Need a lightweight miter saw that you could transport easily to various locations? The Hitachi miter saw is what you need. This is a 15-amp miter saw that operates at a speed of 5,000 rpm, and it is great for making miter cuts and crosscuts easily. This tool allows 0-45 degrees bevel angles on the left, which helps you get accurate and smooth bevel cuts.
If you are a woodworker who needs precision in your projects, this tool will make your projects successful. It is versatile and reliable to meet the most demanding woodworking projects. Carrying the tool is easy since it has a horizontal handle that offers a secure hold.
Another outstanding aspect of this miter saw is the large table that offers better material support. It is equipped with an efficient clamping system that helps you secure your piece in place conveniently. Additionally, the tool has a dust collector that reduces airborne particles and keeps your work area neat.
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver.
- The miter saw has a nice clamping to support your workpiece.
- Easy to make miter adjustments with the thumb actuated positive stops.
- It has a powerful motor needed to handle your projects.
- The large table helps you secure your materials.
- The blade guard has problems.
- Complaints of poor Metabo customer service.
- The tool can be dangerous to use.
2. dewalt dw713 review – best dewalt 10 inch compound miter saw.
Dewalt is a popular and reputable brand in the power tool industry. This is one of their best 10 inch miter saw that is suitable for a wide range of uses. The miter saw offers clean cuts, and you can perform 45-degree bevel cuts when you are handling dimensional lumbar measuring 2×6 inches. This miter saw is lightweight, so transportation will not be a problem.
Moreover, it has a carry handle that makes it easy to move it around your job site. The tool also features a large miter capacity from 0-50 degrees left and right, enhancing its versatility. You will get ample power with the 15-amp motor that offers up to 5,000 rpm. It also features stainless steel detents that offer 11 positive stops so you can achieve repeated accuracy and durability.
This tool also has functional tall sliding fences that can hold 4-1/2-inch crown molding vertically. The fence also slides easily to give room for bevel cuts. Achieve accurate cuts with the machined base support that works well to ensure the fence stays perpendicular with the blade to increase cutting accuracy.
- Durable and reliable compound miter saw.
- The saw is lightweight and easily portable.
- It is suitable for different applications.
- The saw makes smart and accurate cuts.
- Built-in carry handle makes transportation simple.
- Changing the blade can be tricky.
- Not compatible with laser as advertised.
- The fence warps, and the blade jams.
3. Bosch Miter Saw Review – best bosch 10 inch sliding miter saw review.
This is another recommended tool that provides great versatility and more power. This 10-inch miter saw features a compact design combined with an axial glide system to help you achieve smooth cuts. The saw delivers a no-load speed of 4,800 rpm and a 12-inch horizontal and 1-1/2-inch vertical cutting capacity.
You will enjoy great flexibility and ease of use with this tool. It features an all-metal bevel lock and a convenient range selector that offers a faster bevel setting without the need to get at the back of the tool. The tall sliding fences give the right support for your bevel set up so you can get high accuracy. You will also like the miter dents, which adjust easily and have markings to make it easy to set cuts 47 degrees on the right or left.
No worries about inhaling airborne particles or having a messy workplace because the tool has a dust bag. The vacuum adapter and the dust chute allow you to hook a hose for effective dust collection. It also has a compact design to take less space, and the tool works well for tight quarters. Moreover, the large and ergonomic trigger handle has a soft grip that ensures you enjoy maximum comfort when using the tool all day.
- It has a lower guard to ensure you get unobstructed views.
- Features a large and comfortable handle.
- The tool is lightweight and reaches tight quarters, unlike other miter saws.
- Effective dust collection system for easy cleanup.
- Easy to achieve quick and precise adjustments.
- Great tools, but it doesn’t cut straight.
- The wide board cutting angle is not smooth.
- The depth stop doesn’t work well.
Brief Summary of 12 inch miter saw reviews
A 12 –inch miter saw differs from the 10-inch model because it has a larger blade. It is also a great option when you want to finesse your cuts. These tools make finer cuts based on the teeth per inch. You can get them in various teeth per inch variations like 24, 60, or 80. However, these variations are not in 10-inch miter saws.
This tool has a powerful 15-amp motor, so you have ample power to cut harder materials. In some cases, you can find 12-inch miter saws that accept 10-inch blades. Since the tools are purposely made for heavy-duty cutting projects, they are durable and hence last longer.
Cutting with a 12-inch miter saw is faster because you can cut 4×6 in a single pass. The tools are also great when handling materials like plywood which come in bigger sizes.
Benefits of a 12 inch compound miter saw reviews
A 12-inch miter saw is useful when making furniture, cutting laminated lumbar, and harder materials like plywood. Other benefits you will get from a 12-inch miter saw include:
- You will enjoy a 12-inch maximum cutting width.
- The larger blade size makes it easy to cut larger materials in less time.
- You can accomplish cut vertical and long cuts with the larger blade.
- The tools have a powerful 15-amp motor which can work longer without compromising efficiency.
- They cut through 4×4 treated pine easily.
- The tool is great for harder plywood materials.
best 12 inch miter saw reviews
12-inch miter saws require larger projects where professional touch is needed. Unlike 10-inch miter saws, these tools are expensive and last longer. Therefore, buying a 12-inch miter makes a huge investment, so you want to be sure that you get the best. Our expert team has tested the market to determine the right 12-inch miter saws you should buy. Let’s explore our top 3 models and see what each has to offer.
1. dewalt dws715 review – dewalt 12 inch compound miter saw reviews.
If you are on the lookout for a single-bevel compound miter saw, Dewalt has got your back. The DWS715 is a fantastic 12-inch miter saw with a powerful 15-amp motor. The motor provides a speed of up to 4,000 rpm, making it great for all your projects. With this miter saw, you can achieve a high level of accuracy and boost your productivity.
It has a miter detent plate for improved accuracy, and you can easily adjust the stainless steel miter detent with 14 positive stops. You will love this miter saw because it features a miter detent override to help you override miters stop and make adjustments to your ideal settings.
The tool also features a tall sliding fence that can hold crown molding up to 5 ¼ inches and 6 ½-inch base molding vertically alongside the fence. This happens while the fence slides easily out of the way to give room for bevel cuts. You can achieve maximum cutting accuracy because it has machined base support that keeps the fence perpendicular to the blade. Apart from the miter saw, you will also get a dust bag, carbide blade, vertical clamp, blade wrench, and side handles.
- The high-quality tool that provides accurate performance.
- The tool is durable and has a powerful motor.
- It comes with the essential accessories you need.
- The lightweight design and the carry handle make transportation easy.
- Best miter saw for the money that makes excellent cuts.
- Great miter saw, but it doesn’t last long.
- It is hard to adjust the kerf plate.
- The blade of the tool warps.
2. dewalt dws780 12 inch double bevel sliding compound miter saw.
This is yet another efficient Dewalt 12-inch miter saw that would make your work in the workshop easy. The tool features a 15-amp motor with a speed of 3,600 rpm to give you the power you need to handle your projects. You will also find a precise miter system combined with a machined base fence support that contributes to optimal accuracy on all your projects.
If you need to take your tool from one point to another, it features a convenient handle design to promote maximum stability. The miter saw also features an integrated XPS cross-cut positioning technique to all easy cut line indication without making adjustments. Additionally, it has an adjustable stainless steel miter detent plate featuring 10 positive stops to improve your productivity and promote accuracy.
This tool is also designed with an innovative gearbox and a convenient belt drive design to boost vertical cutting capacity. You will also appreciate the dust collection feature that collects up to 75% of the dust produced, giving you a cleaner and neat workplace.
The dewalt dws780 review – Pros
- Durable and efficient power tool.
- The miter saw produces accurate cuts.
- It has a functional dust collection system.
- The can lock miter handle makes adjustments easy.
- It has a powerful motor for a wide range of applications.
The dewalt dws780 reviews – Cons
- Some users find it cheaply made.
- Good tool, but some features have been removed.
- The blade feels cheap.
3. Bosch Miter Saw Reviews.
Upgrade your old miter saw with the Bosch model that provides accurate performance and smooth cutting motion. This is a quality tool for people with storage concerns since it doesn’t take up much space.
Its space-saving design makes the tool suitable for small spaces. You can rely on this miter saw to provide accurate cuts because it has pre-aligned square lock fences that ensure the saw maintains its precision always.
This miter saw provides a large cutting capacity, and it is easy for you to read the meter and bevel scales. You will also enjoy great versatility because you can use the tool to make different types of cuts. The miter saw is also packed with an efficient dust collection system with a vacuum.
- Compact miter saw great for compact workspaces.
- The tool provides a wide range of use.
- It offers easy adjustments a precise control.
- You will always get precise cuts on your projects.
- The soft trigger handle makes the tool comfortable to use.
- Great tool, but it doesn’t offer straight cuts.
- Adjusting the vertical 90 degrees is difficult.
- The safety below the handle needs improvement.
Frequently Asked Questions
A compound miter saw is a tool that has a blade that pivots on the right and left to help you make angled cuts. It can also tilt in a single direction to enable you to make beveled cuts. A compound miter saw is great if you want to make crown molding and picture frames since you can make compound miter cuts in just one pass.
There are many benefits you will get from a compound miter saw. First, the tool is easy to use for both beginners and professionals. It also saves your time since you can quickly make wider cuts on your workpiece without taking much time. The tool also helps you make different types of cuts that are quality and smooth. A compound miter also provides a high level of precision and accuracy on your projects.
Having a miter saw is great, but you should also know how to use it the right way to get the most from it. Using a miter saw wrongly can lead to serious injuries, so you need to be extra careful when handling such a powerful tool. The first thing you should do when using a miter saw is to mark your material with a pencil. Next, use the miter saw clamp to keep your hands away from the tool’s blade.
Prep your miter saw by maki9ng some adjustments following the instructions your manufacturer provided. You can make these adjustments depending on your projects. After that, begin sawing, moving from the front to the back. After cutting the board, release the trigger to allow the blade to stop before you raise it.
Before you begin working with your Hitachi miter saw, it is crucial to ensure that you have adjusted the tool properly to get accurate cuts. Manufacturers set their saws at the factory, but you also need to make some adjustments because of shipping. You should also check your miter saw for accuracy when you get a kickback. Also, check your tool a few times during the year because regular use can cause some components to get out of adjustments. You need to use a square to adjust your miter saw. Some common places that require adjustment include the blade, and the miter saw fence.
Before you start using your miter saw, you need to unlock it first. A miter saw features two locking mechanisms for precise cuts and safety. The powerhead will lockdown to make storage and transportation bliss. To unlock your tool, you need to unplug the power cord from the source of power. Hold the saw with one hand and then press to reduce the locking pin tension. Pull the locking pin, and this will unlock the motorized head.
Release the pressure on the motor’s home head slowly and let it be in an open position. The table lever has a handle button that you should twist left to unlock the table hinge. Turn the table to the correct angle with the handle to move to either right or left. Next, rotate the handle knob to lock the table well in place, and your tool is ready to use.
If you have a compound miter saw, cutting crown molding is easy. But first, you should be conversant with the various types of angles you can make. These angles include corner angle, spring angle, bevel, and miter angles. After understanding these angles, you can go straight to cutting your crown molding.
The first step is to set the required bevel or miter angle. After that, take the molding on the top of the table and slide it on the blade’s right side to cut. In this case, you are cutting a right-hand cut on the outside corner. Next, cut the left-hand piece on the inside corner. You can achieve this by sliding your crown molding on the blade’s left side. Always remember to ensure the miter and bevel angles are accurate on your saw.
Final Verdict & Recommendation
The most important thing you should do is getting the right tool for the job. From the above guide, we have given you the main differences between a 10 vs 12 miter saw to help you figure out which one will meet your needs. We have also given you some miter saws recommendations to make your purchase work easier.
Each of the blades is suitable for different purposes, so you should know how you intend to use your tool before you purchase. A 10-inch miter saw is ideal for home projects and other minor projects in your workshop. But if you deal with larger projects, you need a powerful 12-inch miter saw to give professional results.